Ever thought about train travel for your next trip?
"I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early."
~ Yogi Berra
high speed train in Italy
I love train travel! Ever since I was a child and went to Toronto Ontario from my home town. It may have been a short trip but that first excursion got me hooked. Maybe you have hesitated taking a trip by rail and if so I hope that my information will help you plan a wonderful vacation.
I will give some general information about the various types of trips that you can take by rail.
I will offer links to more details about particular types of trains, vacation packages or how to travel around various countries and general railway travel tips.
A dozen advantages:
- Travelling by train is relaxing and so much more stress free then driving in all that traffic ...sit back and even enjoy a drink.
- It is a great transportation even if it is a short day trip or one night to a nearby city to shop. When I lived in Ontario I would take trips to Toronto or Montreal or London.
- You don't have to be concerned with parking at your destination, and most train stations are conveniently located in the center of the city.
- Most of the time there is great scenery to enjoy.
- You can feel good about doing your part in helping to save the planet from global warming.
- You can combine it with a ferry or cruise
- Fly into one country - travel around it or stay on the train and go into another country very easily
- There are so many different kinds of trips to choose from luxury to the very economical to the exotic. There is something for every budget.
- No jet lag, no turbulence and breakdowns are rare.
- On long trips you can get a nice comfy bed on most trains
- It is getting faster all the time. I was on a high speed train recently in Italy that went around 250 km an hour so it got us to Florence from Rome in about hour and a half.
- It is even more hassle free than flying, and you don't have to check in hours ahead.