Read these train travel tips to make sure you have the best experience.
The first of my train travel tips is to pick the correct type of train. Do you want slow scenic travel or is it important to quickly get to your destination. Another Check out the differences between first and second class. Maybe you would like to try a luxury trip.
train travel tips
- Make sure you have all your necessary papers and ID and know how to validate your ticket. There can be fines in some countries.
- Leave enough time to check for your platform as the departure platform sometimes change and some train stations are very large.
- This is something that I cannot stress enough…travel light. It is sometimes difficult to man-oeuvre a large suitcase in the aisles and fitting it in the overhead could prove difficult. If you will have more than one stop over then a small bag will be easier to handle getting on and off. Sometimes a step can be tricky. I have seen people go flying. This is probably one of the best train travel tips.
- It is a good idea to put a lock on your luggage and wear a money belt. You can’t keep your eye on every belonging all the time especially if you are on an overnight train or you just take a nap.
- It's a good idea to bring some things to do. It is a chance to read a good book or journal or maybe plan some activities at your destination. Also get up and walk around because sitting too long is not good for the circulation.
- Get a sleeper on those overnight trains. The seats are comfortable on most trains but if you can afford it a sleeper is great.
- Wear comfortable clothes and layer as you never know what the temperature will be like. Bring a blanket and a pillow if you are going to sleep at your seat.
- Pack hand sanitizer and some snacks as the dinning car can be expensive, or you may not like what is offered. Make sure you have some cash in case they don‘t take cards. Some trains don't have food. Also have your toiletry bag in your purse or day bag so you don’t have to get it out of your suitcase on a shorter trip.
- If you will be using your computer or cell phone make sure they are charged before boarding as not all trains have a lot of electrical outlets. Sometimes it depends on what class ticket you purchased.
- When purchasing your ticket check for discounts usually seniors or students get one. Even adults can sometimes get a discount for travelling with one or more people always together. This is usually the case in Europe.